Friday, January 27, 2012

3D Bump-Mapping Update:

Currently most of my work is going into creating software that will generate 3D maps from our two GoPro cameras. Following this work, I will focus on bump-map texturing using those 3D maps.

We decided to use two GoPro Hero2s for this project. These will be connected in parallel to provide synced stereo images-which can be used to create depth maps of cistern walls.

The cameras arrived a few weeks ago, but after testing them in the pool I found that they could not provide focused underwater images. The problem was that the GoPro enclosure uses a fish-eye lens to provide the maximum possible viewing angle. Based on internet research, I decided to buy a set of replacement lenses for the Go-Pro housing. I installed the new lenses earlier this week and tested the enclosure in the bathtub. I didn't detect any leaks in the enclosure and the images I took were in much better focus. However, the enclosure still needs to be tested in a deep pool before I will be confident in the fix.

I am currently working on the software to calibrate and collect data from the cameras. I have had some trouble with the new OpenCV 2 libraries, so I will be using the old c-style OpenCV functions and types instead. As of Wednesday, my software was able to recognize the calibration points on a chessboard. By the end of this weekend I hope to have something much more impressive. Full steam ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment