Sunday, January 29, 2012

SLAM Project Update

Well it has been a while since I was suppose to post this, but that just means I'll have better results. So I've been working on optimizing the SLAM code to generate better maps and also increasing the likelihood of the particles converging for a given set of sonar scans. I started by focusing on filtering the sonar data to optimize the overlap between scans.




Filtering Algorithm






By filtering the data, I can use more of the data already present in the sonar scan to help increase the likelihood of the particles converging.

My next focus will be on refining the filtering algorithm to output cleaner sonar measurements. I also need to work on the scan matching algorithm to load in the first scan at an ideal location where edges won't be cut off. This occurs when the size of the occupancy grid is small and the first scan is loaded in the middle of the map. I'm also waiting for the ROV motor to come in the mail so that I can fix the ROV and then be able to map the pool at the LAIR. This will give us truth data to calculate the error in our algorithm.

No comments:

Post a Comment