Saturday, January 7, 2012

Winter Progress

As a participant of last year’s ICEX team, I had the opportunity to continue working on our solutions over the summer. Towards the end of the summer, I was working on creating a function to determine confidence values for walls generated by the Hole Filling algorithm. Unfortunately, school started and I no longer had time to work on the solution. Over break, I completed the remaining parts of the algorithm and added confidence values to the input data. I then used these calculated confidence values to add more information to the visualization of the cisterns. Additionally, I tied up loose ends in the existing software to create a more stable and complete graphics pipeline. The existing Hole Filling software was not robust, as it would only run if certain sampling rules were followed. I found and fixed many bugs related to this problem, and the algorithm now runs as expected.

To the left is an image of a cistern mapped by last year’s team with the hole filled (there is no indication of a hole being filled). To the right is an image of the same cistern using transparency to illustrate the calculated confidence value of the filled hole (the confidence values used are a sample).

No comments:

Post a Comment